Monday, February 15, 2010

Becoming eFriendly

This week I’ve given up on a small dream. The people who know me best know that if there was electricity and indoor plumbing back in the days of Jane Austin novels, that is the time I would want to live—you know if I could guarantee that I was above a certain class level. One of the many things I love about that era is that your home was an estate with its own name, but most of all they had libraries built over generations. I have always wanted that Beauty and the Beast library with ladders and spiral staircases. For the last few weeks I have been pondering this dream and have come to the conclusion that a mega library is just not very realistic anymore. Even if I had the space, my 50+ books would fill like two or three shelves. So, I have let this dream go and got an eReader.

Actually, I had only decided to get one and was going to exercise restraint and wait for my birthday. But, Brian surprised me with a Nook for Valentine’s Day. I love him and I am loving my Nook. Here are a few benefits of owning an eReader:

1. 1,500 Books all in one, with the option of adding a memory card for more
2. I’m not killing as many trees for my enjoyment
3. Brian doesn’t have to haul my Rubbermaids of books when we move
4. Books are cheaper online
5. The screen on this thing is amazing—just like reading a book
6. Isn’t it cute?
I LOVE MY VALENTINE. He is always surprising me with the nicest things. We started falling in love on Valentine’s Day 9 years ago, and I am more in love with him now than ever. LOVE YOU HONEY.

4 comments:

Bryan and Laura Taylor said...

Lucky!! I would love one of those too. I agree about he Jane Austin Era, it would have been exciting to live back then but only to live in the upper class. Are you on good reads? I should try and find you there--Laura

Aubrey said...

I have always wanted a large library in my "dream home" but maybe one day I'll crack and get one of those cool electronics. It sure would be a lot lighter than holding a big, heavy book.

Melissa@thebblog said...

Oh, you'll have to tell me what you think as you go along. I'm like you - I want that library!!! and, I feel like an ereader would somehow cheapen the moment - not holding that book in my hands. Let me know what you think.

Amber said...

Ya-I'm pretty sure I'll never make the switch. I just can't take the thought of looking at a screen to read a book. Plus, the feel, the smell...but I am super glad you are liking yours! And you can tell Brian I buy used books so no killing more trees...they're already dead.