Friday, July 30, 2010

A Week of Broadway-ish Shows

In June, most of the girls on my Grandma Foster’s side of the family went to St. George for a girl’s week. I drove down with my sister-in-law Amber and her daughter Sienna. It was so nice to spend some time with them this week without the boys. Sienna and Braxton got along so well. One morning I found them sharing a piece of licorice. Here they are at the pool:


We all went to Tuacahn Theater (minus the kids) two nights in a row to see Tarzan and Cats. Here are my thoughts:

It was really good and I totally recommend anyone to go see it; however, I was slightly disappointed in two things. First, the singers were not as good as I hoped in this one. I am not sure if it is just because Phil Collins’ voice is so unique and I love it, so this just wasn’t as good or if the singers really just weren’t good. Second, I thought all the cables and flying across the stage was more distracting than helpful to tell the story. This also could be because the wind was blowing so hard they almost cancelled the show. Actually, we heard the next night that they would have cancelled it if they didn’t have a special guest that night. The original Tarzan from the old movie was sitting 5 rows behind us, so they didn’t want to cancel it for him. Besides those two things, it really was a great production for little old Utah.

Oh My Gosh! Loved it! I have never seen Cats before and didn’t know the music or the story so I don’t have anything to compare it to. But, the dancing and singing was SO amazing. I felt like I was watching a real Broadway performance. My favorite cat was the Magical Mr. Mistoffelees. He was awesome! The lady who played Grizabella was also one of the best singers I have ever heard. She was a tony award winner that happens to live in St. George teaching voice lessons.

So, after the girl’s week was over, Brian drove down and picked me up on the way to Las Vegas to celebrate our 5th anniversary. My mom stayed in St. George with Braxton and they had a great time besides 4 back teeth coming in at the same time—sorry mom! Brian and I stayed at the Monte Carlo, ate at a lot of good restaurants, and saw a few shows. Here’s my review:

O by Cirque du Soleil (Sorry, couldn't get a good picture)

WOW. This was diving, gymnastics, contortionists, and synchronized swimming on steroids. What these performers do is so beyond crazy that it blows my mind. The real star of the show was the stage. It is the coolest stage ever. You just have to see it to believe it. This show was worth every penny of it’s expensive ticket.

It was a really good performance. I have seen this one in London and it was so amazing there, that I was slightly disappointed this time. The woman who played Rafiki was perfectly amazing and the older Nala was really good. But, other than that the singers were just okay. I was expecting a little more for a professional production and feel like Tuacahn in St. George could have put on a production as good as this one.

All in all, it was a really great week and I am totally spoiled!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

I love Tuacahn! I used to go there every year with my dad and sisters when I was a teenager. Sadly, haven't been since then. I too have always wanted to see Cats. Now I'm even more motivated after reading your review. I too love Lion King (saw it in NYC). I cried when Mufasa died. What a softy. So glad you had a fun girls week and anniversary. Congrats!

Melissa@thebblog said...

oh, it sounds like you had so much fun!!! I've not seen ANY of the shows you mentioned. I've wanted to go to Tuacahn for so long - one of these days. Sorry about Brax and his molars all at the same time, I imagine he was pretty miserable.