Monday, January 10, 2011

Taking Life with the Good and the Bad

Two big things are going on in our life right now-one good, one bad. First, the good. We are announcing the arrival of BABY #2 sometime in late July or early August. We are excited for our new one to make his/her entrance into the world, but more importantly it will be good for Braxton to have a brother or sister to play with. I am feeling pretty good actually and my worst sickness is in the middle of the night—weird, I know. We are grateful for this though, since Brian has started into his busy season and works until 11 pm or later every night and I have become a virtual single-parent during the week.

On to the bad things of life. We found out last Wednesday that my mom has a tumor on her small intestine. The doctors did surgery on Wednesday evening with hopes of removing it, but were unable to do so without taking out most of her intestine. What would have been left to work with wasn’t enough for her to live very long. They also were able to tell that it was cancer and it had spread a little. We were very shocked and scared for her, but the following days have given us a lot of hope for her recovery. She has Stage 2, Grade 2 Follicular Lymphoma. It can be successfully treated with chemo; however, it is not curable and may come back at anytime for the rest of her life. The doctors wanted to start chemo immediately, so I rushed down to St. George this weekend to spend a few hours with her before that started. The hardest part for me right now is that because I’m pregnant, I can’t be near her during chemo, which will last about 18 weeks. I’m so glad I went down, even for the few hours I got to spend with her, because it just reassured me how tough my mom is and I know she will fight this with all she has. So far, she has reacted to the chemo really well, with only a bit of nausea, and is recovering from her surgery well. Hopefully, she will be able to go home from the hospital this week where she can feel more comfortable for the remainder of her recovery. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers on behalf of my mom.

4 comments:

Laura and Bryan said...

Hey, First of all congrats on the new arrival! That is so awesome! We are so excited for you. Second, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. Clint called and told me yesterday. I know that she will do great with the treatment as hard as it will be. Although that kind of news is hard to hear, I am glad they were able to catch it when they did and that they were able to get a diagnosis and treatment going. Those are all great signs! Best wishes to you! Let me know if you guys need anything.

Aubrey said...

You're right — it will be great for Braxton to have a brother or sister to play with. I am glad you were able to visit your mom. Life is so precious and you want to take advantage of all its opportunities.

Melissa@thebblog said...

It was so, so great to see you at lunch today, we need to do that way more often. I'm sad to hear about your mom but from all i've heard you say about her, she's a strong lady and can beat just about anything. I'm thrilled for Braxton to be a big brother. Congrats on that front, if you can just get your husband home sometime to give you a backrub, life would be better!

Andrea Lee said...

How awesome that you're pregnant! Congratulations! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I was trying to imagine what I would do if that happened to my mom. I just really cant imagine. You will all be in my prayers.